Oil and Gas
The recent hot topic in Ohio for landowners has been about oil and gas lease agreements and now pipelines. The number one thing a land owner can do is to become educated and familiar with the ins and outs of any type of lease agreement. Listed below are some very helpful websites and pdf's that you can check out for more information on these subjects.
Wayne County has the potential to have several transmission pipelines installed in the near future. Several pipelines have been proposed for construction and are in the preliminary stages of design. Impacted landowners may have been contacted by pipeline representatives or received correspondence. Names of some of the projects include Nexus, ET Rover, and Kinder Morgan Utopia East and West. The Sunoco pipeline was installed in 2015.
To receive assistance with disputes involving the construction and operation of FERC jurisdictional projects, landowners should contact the Commission's Landowner Helpline Toll Free at 1-877-337-2237 or by email at LandownerHelp@ferc.gov
Starting in 2017 - ET Rover will be the first breaking ground and moving forward in Wayne County. We will try to keep landowners up to date as best as we can - and pass on any information. Feel free to contact our office and stop by and we can try to answer questions or send you in the right direction.
is proposed for the northeast corner of Wayne County. It will be up to a 36" diameter pipe for natural gas transmission. We do have a detailed map of the proposed route. Anyone may stop at our office to view that map during office hours.
Nexus Pre-Filing Request
NEXUS Pipeline Construction Status Reports
FERC Inspection Reports
Proposed to travel through Wayne County from West to East from Ashland County to Stark Co. This project involves two 42" diameter pipes for natural gas transmission. We have copies of maps in our office as does the Wayne County Library, City of Wooster, and impacted townships, within the proposed route. The Wayne County Auditor also has the proposed route as a GIS overlay on their website.
To use the Auditor GIS, click the link below, click the map tab middle top of GIS page, then click the green layers button. A box will open, click the triangle next to GIS data, then click the box next to Rover Pipeline Project. You can zoom in to look at more specific information.
Rover Pipeline Construction Status Reports
FERC Inspection Reports
- The document says that FERC orders that a Certificate of Public Convenience and Necessity is issued to construct and operate the Rover pipeline (pages 103, 104).
- If the above certificate is issued then Rover can acquire land through eminent domain (pages 24, 25).
- Responses to Agricultural Impact questions (pages 74-79)
- Environmental Conditions of the Final EIS – Items that have to be done prior to construction (pages 111-121).
Kinder Morgan Utopia East is a 12" diameter pipeline that will run from Harrison County to Fulton County Ohio. This pipeline will carry fractionated natural gas liquids including ethane and ethane-propane mixtures. We do not have a detailed location map for either pipeline.
Helpful Pipeline Links
Ohio Pipeline Standard and Construction Specifications - ODA's web page under Program Information - with the Division of Soil and Water Conservation District's.
- Negotiating Pipeline Easements - The Ohio State University
- Diagnosing Soil Compaction Using a Penetrometer - Penn State Extension
Water Well Testing Information
- PRE-TESTING WATER WELLS PRIOR TO OIL/GAS DRILLING Locally specific to Wayne, Holmes, Ashland Counties
- Recommendations for Water Well Sampling Before Oil & Gas Drilling - 4 pgs, by the Ohio EPA
Water Well Log Report On-line Search Tools
Find your water well report filed with ODNR when the well was drilled
Oil and Gas Drilling/Lease Information
- Mohican Basin Landowners The Mohican Basin Landowners Association is a neutral organization.
- A Landowners Guide to Oil and Gas Leasing in Ohio - a 2 page brochure by the Ohio Farm Bureau
- The Ohio Department of Natural Resources Division of Oil and Gas - great Website with rules, regulations, etc.
- ODNR Division of Geological Survey - Utica & Marcellus Shale Data- great Website w/ info.
- ODNR Oil and Natural Gas Well and Shale Development Resources - Website listing recent Ohio activity
- PDF - from ODNR - List of Oil / Natural Gas and Shale Development Web Resources ~ a 4 page list of websites
- The Ohio Oil and Gas Energy Education Program, website at www.oogeep.org - More Education & Information
- Ohio Oil and Gas Association, website at www.ooga.org
- Pipeline Easement/Right-of-way Considerations (Ray Rummel, Carrol SWCD)
Special Thanks to Dale Arnold, Director, Energy Services- Ohio Farm Bureau Federation - for the resources!